Master's students – University of Copenhagen

Forward this page to a friend Resize Print Bookmark and Share

Home > Education > New to the Faculty > Master's students

New Master's Students

Upon admittance to your Master’s programme, we have provided important information below concerning study start and other practical matters connected to your enrolment at the Faculty of Humanities.

You can find more practical information about the Faculty of Humanities in our A-Z Guide.

Full Degree Admissions

Should you have any practical questions before or during your enrolment, please do not hesitate to contact Full Degree Admissions.

Contact information


Upon accepting admittance, you are encouraged to join the Facebook group for full degree students. By joining the group you will receive information and event invitations and have the opportunity to connect with other full degree students.

For questions concerning your specific programme elements or questions related to courses, exams, etc., please contact your department student guidance counsellors.

Orientation prior to study start

Education & Student Services at the Faculty of Humanities will be hosting the Orientation event for new students. Orientation will provide you with useful information pertaining to studying at the Faculty of Humanities as well as social activities for UCPH students. The program for the event will be available prior to your arrival.

Read more about the Orientation Programme


Unfortunately the University of Copenhagen is unable to offer housing to full degree students at the Faculty of Humanities. 

Due to the limited number of available dorms, rooms and apartments, finding accommodation in Copenhagen is difficult. Therefore we advise students to begin the search for housing as soon as possible after accepting the offer of admission.
Searching for accommodation after your arrival in Denmark is not recommendable.

Advice on finding accommodation

Course registration

Course registration for the Autumn semester 2016 takes place between May 15 and June 1. Read more and register at KUnet (intranet).

The Mentor Programme: QA Programme

The Faculty of Humanities has a mentor programme, which goes by the name of the QA Programme. By joining the programme you will establish an instant network that will assist with picking you up in the airport and helping you get settled in Copenhagen. 

The mentors are experienced students at the Faculty, either Danish or international full degree students, who will strive to help you with your start at the Faculty of Humanities.

The mentors will assist with the practical aspects of adjusting to a new educational environment, be available for questions and introduce you to the social life at the Faculty and beyond. The mentors are also the backbone of the Faculty’s international study environment, and they host events throughout the semester that you can attend as a student at UCPH.

We strongly encourage all international students to sign up for the mentor programme. As a mentee you will be part of a group with six to eight mentors and mentees. The mentors in the group will organise social activities especially for your group, in addition to the events that will be organised as part of the international study environment.

Normally your mentor group will contact you by email prior to your arrival in Denmark, therefore it is important to make sure that the email address used in your registration is valid and that you check it regularly prior to leaving your home country.

Please feel free to visit the QA Programme's website:

KUnet and Student ID Card

Once you gain access to KUnet, you will be able to order your student id card online.

If you have not yet registered a Danish address with Full Degree Admissions, letters containing the ID card and pin code will be sent to the Reception at the Faculty of Humanities where you can pick it up.

KUnet ( is the intranet at the University of Copenhagen, where you can find the study websites for your Master's programme, access your UCPH e-mail, Absalon e-larning platform, and Self Service, among other features.
In order to access KUnet, you need a password that will be sent to you by IT services in an e-mail.

Danish for University Students

Danish for University Students is a Danish language course specifically designed for university students and offered free of charge to international full degree students. 

Designed in accordance with The Act on Danish for Adult Foreigners, it is perfect for students who wish to learn Danish to improve their chances of employment in Denmark. The course develops general language skills as well as study and work-related language skills. The courses are offered by the Centre for Internationalisation and Parallel Language Use. You can read more about the courses here.

It is also possible to take Danish language classes at a number of language schools across the city. Some of them are approved by the municipality and you might be eligible for free Danish classes at these language centres. You can read more at

Residence Permit

Depending on your nationality, you are required to obtain a residence permit during your studies in Denmark. 

Visit International Education and Grants' website for further information. 

Students from Non-EU/EEA Countries

Please be aware that if you are not an EU/EEA citizen, you need a residence permit before entering Denmark. Upon our confirmation of payment of tuition covering the first semester, you will receive an application form for a student residence permit with an instruction on how to apply. Please contact the nearest Danish embassy or consulate immediately to apply for your permit, as the application process usually takes a considerable length of time (2-3 months). You can read more about visa regulations at

Work Permit

All international students in Denmark are allowed to work while studying. Typically residence permits allow 20 hours per week from September to May and 37 hours per week from June to August. When you are granted a residence permit, remember to check that you are permitted to work as well.

Students from EU/EEA Countries, including the Nordic countries, are not required to have a work permit, and there is no limitation to the amount of hours they can work.

Please refer to the International Citizen Service for more information on registration requirements pertaining to living in Denmark.

The Civil Registration Office (CPR Number) 

When you have arrived in Copenhagen, you are required to register with the International Citizen Service. You must have obtained a residence permit and a permanent address in Denmark to be able to register. The Citizen Service Registration Office will issue a personal identity number, called a CPR-number, as well as a Health Insurance Card. You will find more information about how and where to register at the International Citizen Service.

General Insurance and Health Insurance

University of Copenhagen does not have a mandatory insurance policy which students are required to take out, and students are not covered by any insurance policies taken out by the University of Copenhagen. Therefore, we strongly encourage you to purchase general insurance (personal possessions, accident and liability) as well as a health insurance prior to your departure for Denmark.

Alternatively you may take out an insurance policy with International Health Insurance (IHI) in Denmark. The IHI Study Abroad insurance covers for periods up to 24 months, and gives full protection in case of acute illness and injury. You will find more information at

The Danish Health Security Act

The Danish Health Security Act covers students staying for more than three months. Note, however, that you are not covered until you have registered with the International Citizen Service. Therefore we strongly encourage all students to purchase additional insurance prior to their departure for Denmark.

To be covered by the Danish Health Security Act, you must apply for the Health Insurance Card with the local Civil Registration Office upon arrival. You will find more information about the health insurance card and how to register at the International Citizen Service.

Please refer to the following websites for further information:

State Educational Support

As a foreign student you might be eligible for the Danish State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme. For further information visit the International Education and Grants office website

Academic English - need to improve your Academic English?

Studying an English taught Master’s programme at the Faculty of Humanities requires students to manage a high level of academic English. Even though enrolled students need to meet the language proficiency requirements upon admission, our experiences show that some non-native English speaking students struggle with the high level of English in lectures and discussions as well as the Academic English in written exams and essays. 

The Centre for Internationalisation and Parallel Language Use (CIP) at the Faculty of Humanities offers courses in Academic English for both undergraduate and graduate students:

Studying Academic English as part of your Curricula

Full degree students may be able to take the graduate courses offered at CIP as part of their degree (elective studies). However, this option depends on the curricula of the individual programme. Please consult the student guidance office at your department to explore your options.

Studying Academic English outside of your programme Curricula

  • If full degree students are not able or not interested in taking a course in Academic English as a part of their degree, but still need to improve their Academic English, they will be able to register for the courses as a self-paying guest student (tuition is subject to the student's nationality). 
  • Please note that when studying an Academic English course as a guest student, full degree students are still required to be full time students at their Master’s programme. This means that the student has to be registered for 30 ECTS credits each semester, regardless of the amount of ECTS credits of the Academic English course. Please consult a student guidance counselor to explore your options.
  • Further information on becoming a guest student at the Faculty of Humanities:

Useful advice

See our list of useful advice for new Master's students studying at the Faculty of Humanities.